NEW FORUM: http://heavymetalrarities.com/forum

HomePortalCalendarFAQMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

How did you became a Metalhead?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lord Bones

PostSubject: How did you became a Metalhead?   Sun 14 Nov 2010 - 6:08

Well the question is simple, so I think your answer will be simple but maybe long LOL.

Well I am from the good year of 1964, so in my early years I got to know Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Uriah Heep, Rush, etc when they were really active and sort of new. And I loved them. My first concert was Queen in Rotterdam in 1977. I was 13 and seeing this concert was mind-blowing! Already the harder songs (Speed King, Sheer Heart Attack, etc) of the bands wanted me to search more.

Then I found Judas Priest albums called, Stained Glass and Hell Bent For Leather, those were already Heavy Metal before NWOBHM was there! But what made me a total Metalhead was Iron Maiden in 1980 when they where in Leiden as a support act of Kiss. They blow Kiss out of the water! Then I decided that was my way of life, being a Metalhead!

--==>> METAL RULES <<==--

Keep it Metal Warrior , stay Drunk and enjoy (boobies)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://metal2thebone.blogspot.com
AchiLLeS
Blog Contributor
Blog Contributor

PostSubject: Re: How did you became a Metalhead?   Sun 14 Nov 2010 - 11:46

Back in the year of 1986, my cousin came to my home and he said that it has a new "weird" music for me to hear for the first time.
He has 4 cassettes, written by some vynil store.
This was "piracy" at that time...Written cassettes from vynils....

Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind
Def Leppard - Pyromania
Slayer - Hell Awaits
Iron Maiden - Somewhere in time
(The new Maiden LP at this year)

So...when i first heard "Caught somewhere in time" song, i knew that this was my main music

So Iron Maiden always will have a special place in my heart, as many other bands later.

My first gig was at 1988, Iron Maiden first time in Greece, at Seventh tour of a Seventh tour.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sletti2
Active User
Active User

PostSubject: Re: How did you became a Metalhead?   Sun 14 Nov 2010 - 15:16

I became interested in rock music when I heard Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, the 'I Love Rock'n Roll' single on television. Soon after that I started to listen to the music a friend gave me ... it was the Iron Maiden album 'The Number Of The Beast'. I played it over and over again, and soon I decided that metal was the best music I had ever heard.

Soon after that I started buying some Motörhead, Judas Priest and Michael Schenker albums ... and the first real metal gig I have ever seen was the Shockwave festival in Genk, october 22nd, 1983, witch bands like Raven (UK), Wildfire (UK), Killer (Bel), Crossfire (Bel), Black Widow (Bel), Ostrogoth (Bel) and Lions Pride (Bel). Most were local bands, but they were just AWESOME.

Since that day metal has conquered my heart and I hope it will always stay like that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amrith777
Obscure
Obscure

PostSubject: Re: How did you became a Metalhead?   Sat 20 Nov 2010 - 10:34

This is a great topic and I had thought of asking this,too.
I was born in 1965 and when I was just a kid,I was exposed to Led Zeppelin,The Doors,Deep Purple,Queen,Bad Company and such.I know The Doors aren't metal,but they were very deep and struck a chord within me.
We moved when I was 10 and my mom met and became best friends with a woman in the next building who was about 18 years old--so she was closer to my age.I used to babysit for her and she let me play her records and I began to branch out and discover new bands I'd never heard.One of her friends was getting rid of a bunch of albums (why I don't know) and she gave them to me.I was very fortunate because she gave me huge stacks of all her music--and I got to discover tons of awesome bands that were heavy at the time--from Uriah Heep to AC/DC to Judas Priest & Black Sabbath.
The first time I heard Sabbath was in the summer of '75 or '76.Our local church had an annual fundraiser that was a carnival with rides and games and such.I was waiting in line to go on a ride,and the guy operating the ride had a HUGE speaker blasting out the heaviest,doom-laden and wicked sounding music I'd ever heard.I asked him what it was and he said that it was Black Sabbath's album "Paranoid".I was blown away and became a huge Sabbath fan.When I was 14,someone introduced me to "Rush" and again I was blown away and became a huge Rush fan,too.Their sound was amazing and I loved all their lyrics,especially on the concept albums.I couldn't believe there were only 3 members in the group--as they sounded like they had many more members because of how they played and how many instruments they incorporated into their music.
My love of Metal progressed later to include Metallica,Iron Maiden,Slayer,Mercyful Fate,Megadeth, Savatage,Dio,Ozzy,Raven,Venom,Danzig and MANY more and continues to this day.
One band I recently discovered was "Pagan Altar" who are AMAZING!
So--that's how I became the metalhead I am today.
METAL RULES SUPREME!! :metal2: Metal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Morbid
Obscure
Obscure

PostSubject: Re: How did you became a Metalhead?   Fri 21 Jan 2011 - 23:39

Since I'm new here I thought it would be great to start with an presentation.

I was born in 1989 (So I most be kind of young here!?). My love for heavy metal started at very young age when my father introduced me to KISS "Rock & Roll Over". I remember playing with my LEGO, screaming "CALL ME DOCTOR LOVE". At that time I also listen a lot to progressive swedish bands like Hoola Bandoola Band & Nationalteatern which my mother provided me with. But I was stuck on KISS for sure so in 1998 when KISS released their "Psycho Circus" album my father took me to the local store and bought it for me. Later in 2000 I bought the Black Sabbath "The Collection" which was new at that time and I thought - shit this is music, how can it be so heavy and good? Later on I also got my fathers old ripp-off tapes and one of them was "A Farewell to kings" (and by reading the posts before mine I'm pretty sure you know what I'm talking about). I was totally blown away. Still one of my "favorite" bands today.
Then I meet some new friends who liked heavy metal as well and together, so at that time we were listen to BLACK SABBATH (ALL ERAS), DIO, IRON MAIDEN, KISS, JUDAS PRIEST and so on.. Later on we discovered extreme metal - thrash, death & black - and started to hype that. In 2004 I join a band recorded a demo in 2005, but it all when shit so the singer and I started a death metal band which lived on until 2007 but at that time I was already playing in a thrash metal band with the teutonic approach so their was no tears for me. And today I'm still in that band and my passion for metal has fainted non the less.

I'm a record collector and got some rarities I would like to share, old demo tapes by swedish bands you will not find at metal-archives and so, which I think is worth a listening.

Nice being here,
Cheers!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Strappado
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: How did you became a Metalhead?   Sat 22 Jan 2011 - 23:47

Nationalteatern rules Smile

Looking forward to these swedish demos you mentioned in the post
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://strappadometalblog.blogspot.com
Cimmerian_Wolf
Obscure
Obscure

PostSubject: Re: How did you became a Metalhead?   Fri 2 Sep 2011 - 23:42

Well, my history is simple enough, I was born in a small city of Europe, northwest in 1976, always I was a some kind of cranky boy and rebel no conformist, which difficultly was attending to reasons and with a very independent spirit, in house always heard good music, not Rock essentially but good music, it was growing with classic music, essentials all over and some more, and the same tips that the radio hits out at the 80´s, Rock calls me much more for his spirit and values with my own personality fits as well, beginning from Rainbow, Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin, passing for Manowar, DIO, Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, Savatage or Saxon to name someones, all the great formations that we know all the Metalheads so well and that essence and spirit form a part of our life, I´m a lot into the classic ones like Quiet Riot, Dokken, Little Caesar, Legs Diamond, Twisted Sister, Triumph, CCR, Riot, UFO, MSG, Molly Hatchet etc..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Outlawed
Obscure
Obscure

PostSubject: Re: How did you became a Metalhead?   Sun 6 Nov 2011 - 14:02

I have always been really discriminating. In the world of music it was no different. There was only a few artists that I liked to hear. Sometimes I tought I just didn't like music that much. But someday, I just waked up and remembered an odd album that I saw some years earlier (it was Megadeth's youthanasia). Maybe that's the kind of music that those guys who like heavy stuff listen to? Since I am very curious, I did a bit of research and decided to go for the hunt taking one work of the the world's most famous band: metallica. After listening to kill 'em all, my first play , I was convicted: that's the way to go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How did you became a Metalhead?   

Back to top Go down

How did you became a Metalhead?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Rare & Obscure Metal Forum :: Discussions :: Introduce Yourself-
Jump to: